Friday, April 25, 2014

Five for Friday (April 25)



HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!! I'm linking up with Doodle Bug for...
 

one- My most exciting part of the week was not at all school related. Me and the hubby went to see Lion King the musical yesterday at the Fabulous Fox Theater here in Atlanta!!!! I had heard it was great, and it certainly lived up to those reviews. The costumes and props were just breath-taking and so creative! Merry Christmas to us!




 two- This week ended our plant unit. We had already talked about plant parts and plant needs, so this week, we talked about plants in different habitats. We made an informational book that turned out ADORABLY! If you like it, you can get it for free in my TPT store.



 
three- We read Eric Carle's The Tiny Seed and made our flower to go along with it.

We drew the flower with a black crayon, and then glued on tissue paper. We glued on a lima bean at the bottom to be the aforementioned tiny seed.
 

To end the unit, my students wrote as many facts as they could think of about plants. They sure remembered a lot! This one is my favorite...I love how she spelled "nutrient!" 
 

four- Happy Earth Day! We did a lot of chatting about recycling this week and ended with this poem:
 
 
Then we made these cute flip books. Under each flap they illustrated a line of the poem.  


I found this poem on TPT (for free!)
five- My school is really trying to promote learning math facts, so we've developed the Math Olympics. It's supposed to be for 2-5 graders, but my kiddos are such math whizzes, we decided to get in on the action. Students complete a math fluency sheet in 1 minute (there's +, -, x, and /). If they correctly complete all of the problems on the first sheet, they earn a bronze medal sticker to put on the wall. Then they move to slightly harder math facts for their silver and gold "medals." They earn the last medal if they can complete the fluency test faster than an administrator. My kids have gotten really motivated to study their facts (especially since I've told them this is SECOND grade work!) and I had my first kid race an administrator today!!


That was my week! I hope you have a nice, restful weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I love the Lion King musical!! I saw it years ago and it is still one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous that you got to see The Lion King! I've heard it's amazing. Looks like your smart little kiddos are having fun and learning a lot!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete