Friday, August 23, 2013

Five for Friday (August 23)

It's that time again! Five for Friday! Thanks to Doodle Bug for hosting this awesome Linky!
fiveforfriday2
 

 
I have a Smart Board in my room!!!!! I've never had any kind of interactive board, and I'm so super excited to use it! If anyone has any tips on using this bad boy in kindergarten, I'm all ears.
 

 
We started learning about nouns this week. Today, we just focused on how nouns are people. I drew this LOVELY person outline (who doesn't have hands or feet...) and wrote all of the people we could think of. In the coming weeks, I plan to add an outline of a house with places, a circle with things, and maybe a dog with animals. I don't know...I always feel like I should specifically mention that animals are nouns because they don't clearly fall into "person, place, and thing" definition (not for a kindergartener at least!)
 
 
.  

 
I am finally trying Velcro for name tags. I put 1 piece on each end of the tag and the opposite piece on the table. Now I can easily move kids around without dealing with gross, sticky tape residue. I've always been hesitant to try this because I figured kids would tear up the tag and/or the Velcro, but this class is fairly non-destructive so I thought I'd give it a try  =) 
 

 
I thought I 'd share some organizational ideas I'm trying out this year.
 
Student Self Serve Station...This is where I keep all of the things kids use but don't keep at their desk: clip boards, paper, white boards, erasers, scissors and glue baskets, garbage grabbers

I got these scrapbook boxes when they were on sale at Michael's for $3! I've sorted my activities in them and labeled for each skill. Super helpful so I remember to use what I have!

Have you seen this? Turn milk crates on their side and they provide nice shelf/storage space. Great for big open spaces.

 
I LOVE my desk bags!! My super handy Mom made them for me. Kids keep their crayon boxes, books, and other treasures inside (and out of the way!).

 
Storage bins from Target and fabulous math labels (I wish I could remember where I got them) make for a well-organized math area! My kids can get whatever they need easy-peazy!

1. I LOVE my IKEA shelf with green baskets. I keep worksheets in them as well blank paper.
2. I love my hanging folder chart from Really Good Stuff! That's where I put student excuses, extra flyers, and lots of other needed paperwork.


 

 
 
I was dogsitting this weekend for my super awesome sis-in-law. She thoughtfully brought over a toy giraffe for Jenna to play with. This is said giraffe about 5 minutes later. Notice the stuffing EVERY WHERE!!!!!!! Jenna really wore herself out playing with it...apparently being a destroyer of all things stuffed is hard work!

 
Jenna and her doggy cousin, Zac, had a great time playing! Wore themselves out!
 
Have a great weekend!




6 comments:

  1. My dog had a giraffe and did the same thing to it! He would still play with the little leg that was left until we threw it away. We came home one night to the whole garbage knocked over...one thing taken...the giraffe leg!

    Lindsey
    The Journey of a Beginning Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel about as tired as your doggies! I could probably sleep just like them right now! First week with kiddos was good, but very tiresome!

    Karen

    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks beautifully organized! Wow! The pups are precious. I guess you should be thankful it was the giraffe and not something else! Our dogs loved to chew shoes. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    Oh your room looks LOVELY! I am trying the Velcro this year, too. I feel like I have tried everything else! I also laminated strips with sight words on them and put Velcro on them- that I am going to change out every so often to surprise the kids- so their name may be "and" or "like" one day! :) We'll see... I have lots of Prezis at my TPT store for the smart board. Try some free ones and let me know what you think. I will send you some if you like using them. They work great on the smartboard for something different!
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amanda,

    The scrapbook boxes are such a good idea and they look great! Congrats on the Smartboard! That is so exciting! I have a Promethean board and sky is really the limit. All of those cute kindergarten websites are now interactive! There are sometimes lessons on the smartboard website too! Go crazy with it...you'll love it! :)

    Denay
    The Gemini Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room looks so organized! So glad you have a Smartboard to play with now. I LOVE my Promethean and don't know what I would do without one. Oh, and your noun idea is so cute!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete