During this end-of-the-year time, I'm reviewing our phonics skills from the year. My school uses Saxon Phonics, which I like, but the curriculum moves really quickly. It spends one day on a skill and then moves to something else. Whoosh!
I noticed my kiddos having trouble with r-controlled vowels, so we spent last week reviewing good ol' bossy R.
- We did a "write the room" activity with pictures of bossy R words. The kids had to sort each picture into it's correct bossy R spelling.
- We talked about the bossy R triplets--ER, IR, and UR--that all make the same sound.
- We read bossy R books like Shark in the Park. Oh that Timothy Pope and his telescope!
- In groups, student
- +s brainstormed as many bossy R words as they could. They came up with some good ones!
- We made a garden of bossy R flowers.
Click here if you'd like the worksheet. FREEBIE!
Here are some pictures of our finished projects. Each teacher did it a little differently...