Tuesday, July 29, 2014

We Love Books Linky: Back to School FAVES

 
Today it my last official bum day! Good-bye sleeping in. Good-bye TV watching. Good-bye leisurely going to the bathroom.

I'm getting my ideas ready for the first week of school, and they include SO. MANY. BOOKS! I thought I'd share some of my favorite back to school books. Please let me know if you have a fave I didn't include!

 
Here are some general faves. They make the kids laugh while also showing characters who are a little nervous about school. I know teachers everywhere read The Kissing Hand, so here's a freebie I found on TPT that includes a lot of great activities:
 
Click Here

But wait! That's not all!


Each morning of the first week of school, we read one of these books and review our classroom rules (with the help of The Rules Rap by the fabulous Dr. Jean). Last year was the first year I had heard of What if Everybody Did That? and it is BRILLIANT! Because honestly, that's the deal when you teach school. Sure, it may be fine if one person interrupts a story, but what if EVERYONE did that?
 

It may be fine if one person stands up on the bus, but what if EVERYONE did that?
 
 
It may be fine if one person throws their coat on the floor, but what if EVERYONE did that?
 

It gives kids something to think about.

 
We spend a lot of time the first week or two learning and reviewing names, colors, numbers, and letters. These are a few of my favorite books to teach those skills. This year, I've bought Mrs. Jump's Fun with Names and CAN'T WAIT to use it! It's not free, but it's got TONS of creative ideas!
 
Click Here
 
And what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't make a shameless plug for my own product?? (I know what you're thinking as an answer to that question...so don't answer it!). Anyway, this pack has several color word activities that go along with the book Pete the Cat: I Love my White Shoes.
 
Click Here
 
What are your favorite Back to School books?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment